Shortcut Navigation:

AFL-CIO Now

Showing blog posts tagged with Detroit bankruptcy

Detroit’s Bankruptcy Czar Refuses Free Lunch Offer from City Pensioners

Metro Detroit AFL-CIO photo

It wasn’t crab cakes and calamari delivered via room service to his tony penthouse paid for by Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder’s (R) “secretive nonprofit foundation,” but Kevyn Orr, Detroit’s so-called emergency manager overseeing the city’s bankruptcy, turned down an offer of a free lunch.

Maybe he doesn’t have the taste for a down-home chili dog, but it’s more likely he didn’t have the stomach or backbone to dine with the retired city workers who invited him to lunch Monday. The retirees who, Orr has said, face “significant cuts” to pensions.

Read more and comment »

Detroit Unions Challenge City’s Bankruptcy Claims

Several unions representing Detroit city works and retirees challenged Detroit’s claim for bankruptcy protection. The challenges were filed Monday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Detroit, the court which will determine if the city is eligible for bankruptcy protection. AFSCME Council 25 said the city has not proven it is insolvent and has not negotiated in good faith with its creditors.

Read more and comment »

Executive Council: Detroit Bankruptcy Must Not Impoverish Workers, Retirees

AFSCME Photo

Detroit’s bankruptcy filing “must not be used as a tool to impoverish city of Detroit workers or retirees,” says the AFL-CIO Executive Council, in a statement from its July meeting.

City workers already have made severe concessions to keep the city afloat. They are not to blame for Detroit’s financial problems, yet they have been making sacrifices all along the way to help the city out….The AFL-CIO will continue to support our city of Detroit active and retired members in their fight to maintain dignity on the job, a safe workplace, fair wages and benefits for their labor, and against cuts in the pensions they have paid for and earned.

Read more and comment »

AFSCME’s Saunders Slams Lack of Communication in Detroit’s Rush to Bankruptcy

AFSCME photo

Before Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder (R) and his hand-picked emergency manager Kevyn D. Orr rushed the city’s bankruptcy filing to federal court last week, they refused to sit down and discuss the future of the city’s workers and retirees, AFSCME President Lee Saunders said this morning on "The Bill Press Show." He told Press:

They have not sat down and talked with the union at all in Detroit. They have refused to do so, to talk about how these issued can be resolved. They have said they’ve attempted to have these kinds of discussions. That is a bold-faced lie.

Read more and comment »

Judge: Detroit Bankruptcy Case Turns State Constitution to ‘Swiss Cheese’

Photo by Ian Freimuth/Flickr

The Michigan judge who ruled last week that Detroit’s bankruptcy filing violated the state constitution's ban against tampering with public employees’ pensions, adjourned a hearing on the case this morning until July 29. Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Rosemarie Aquilina said:

As you all know, my decision last week was because there’s been a violation of constitution. I don’t believe the constitution should be made of Swiss cheese.

Read more and comment »

AFSCME and Michigan Working Families Respond to Detroit Bankruptcy Filing

From the Michigan Governor's Office.

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder (R) authorized a bankruptcy filing yesterday for the city of Detroit based on recommendations from financial manager Kevyn Orr, making it the largest city in the United States to ever take that step. AFSCME members and other public-sector workers were not consulted for input before the filing. 

Read more and comment »

Take Action

Sign the petition to raise the minimum wage

It’s been four years since low-wage workers got a raise. Sign the petition to tell Congress it’s time to raise the minimum wage.

Click here »

Connect With Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Flickr

Are you a union member?


*Message and data rates may apply.

Facebook Favorites

Blogs

Join Us Online