The Impact of the Sequester
Fiscal Showdown Myths and Facts
On 'Fix the Debt'
- A Pension Deficit Disorder (11/27/12, Institute for Policy Studies report)
- A Short Guide to 'Fix the Debt'
- The CEO Campaign to 'Fix' the Debt (11/13/12, Institute for Policy Studies report)
No More Manufactured Crises—Disarm the Hostage Takers
- No More Manufactured Crises--Disarm the Hostage Takers (2/27/13, Executive Council Statement)
- Medicaid and Children’s Health
- What Is Social Security?
- The Hidden Costs of Offshore Tax Havens: State Budgets Under Pressure from Tax Loophole Abuse (January 2013, U.S. PIRG Education Fund)
- Beyond the Bush Tax Cuts: Five Options for Raising More Revenues (10/23/12, Americans for Tax Fairness)
- Standing Up to Republican Hostage-Taking (8/1/12, AFL-CIO Executive Council Statement)
- Leveraged Buyouts, Outsourcing and Tax Subsidies: A Cocktail We Cannot Afford (8/1/12, Executive Council Statement)
- Building on the Affordable Care Act (8/1/12, Executive Council Statement)
- Building on the Success of Social Security (3/14/12, Executive Council Statement)
- Time for Truth on Jobs, Deficits and Taxes (3/2/11, Executive Council Statement)
- Protecting and Improving the Solid Foundations of Social Security and Medicare for the Benefit of America's Working Families: A Message for the Deficit Commission (3/2/10, Executive Council Statement)
- Remarks of AFL-CIO President Richard L. Trumka Before the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform (6/30/10)
- Testimony of Kelly Ross, Deputy Policy Director of the AFL-CIO, Before the House Committee on Ways and Means Hearing on Medicare Premium Support Proposals (4/27/12)
- Budget Conference Committee deadline to reach agreement on budget deal
- Bill to fund federal government expires
- Next round of sequestration cuts to be ordered for 2014
- Debt limit extension ends
- Debt limit to be reached
How Did We Get Here?
Congressional Republicans held the economy hostage in the summer of 2011 with a manufactured crisis. They threatened to tank the U.S. economy and allow America to default on its obligations—and they're doing it again.