Working families all over the United States are gearing up for round two in the fiscal showdown. Once again, Republicans in Congress are demanding benefit cuts to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid and threatening to tank our economy by causing a default of the U.S. government on March 1 unless they get their way. Write a letter to the editor today asking our elected officials to:
- Oppose benefit cuts to Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid.
- Close loopholes for Wall Street and the richest 2% of Americans.
Any further deficit reduction should come from closing loopholes for Wall Street, drug companies and the richest 2% of Americans, not from budget cuts that threaten the 98% (such as cuts to education and vital services for low-income people). Here are a few examples of loopholes that should be closed:
- Close tax loopholes that allow U.S. corporations to lower their effective tax rate when they send jobs overseas.
- Close tax loopholes to make Wall Street firms pay their fair share in taxes.
- Limit tax deductions for the richest 2% of Americans.
- Close the loophole that prohibits Medicare from negotiating lower drug prices with pharmaceutical companies.