It's an election year, and we are quickly approaching the time when working families will have the opportunity to go to the polls and vote for candidates who support policies that protect or expand our rights, raise wages and work for an economy that benefits everyone, not just the wealthy few. We're going to focus our spotlight on some of the key candidates who care about working families, and one of those candidates is Mark Schauer, who is running for governor in Michigan.
Mark Schauer, a member of Laborers ( LIUNA ) Local 3555, has never forgotten his working-class roots. The son of a teacher and a nurse, Schauer paid for his college education with a paper route, by flipping burgers and pumping gas. When Schauer was in Congress, he was fierce champion for working people. He stood by workers by:
- Saving auto jobs: Protecting Michigan’s heritage and jobs by fighting for the auto industry rescue .
- Supporting the Make It in America law: Creating tough, new Buy American laws to invest in Michigan workers. [H.R. 4213, Vote 424, 5/28/10]
- Demanding tax breaks for working families: Cutting taxes for middle- and lower-income families, expanding child care, college and home buying tax credits. [H.R. 1, Vote 70, 2/13/09]
That’s just some of what Schauer did for working families in Congress. Here are his priorities as governor for every family in Michigan, not just a handful at the top.
- Strong education: Invest in pre-K to give children a strong start and make college affordable for students . [Michigan Live, 6/17/14; Democratic Governors Association, 1/28/14]
- Tax fairness: Cut taxes for middle-class families and make the wealthy pay their fair share .
- Job creation: Repeal Gov. Rick Synder’s "right to work" law that hurt workers and cut benefits .
If you’re in Michigan, text MI to 235246 for important election reminders and updates.