Remember how mom used to make your food special? Whether it’s her famous smiley face pancakes with extra chocolate chips, her finest PB&J’s cut into diagonals with crust removed just the way you like, or your favorite birthday cake she baked every year, nobody can do it quite like mom.
If one thing is true on Mother’s Day, it’s your turn to do the cooking. Why not surprise her with one of these recipes that are union-made and delicious?
List of Union Made Recipes for Mother's Day
- Creamy Garlic Pasta with Shrimp and Vegetables
- Empire Kosher Ultimate Hashana Chicken
- Linguine Ham Primavera
- Turkey Mignons with Blue Cheese and Balsamic Glaze
Ingredients: 6 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, 12 ounces peeled and deveined raw shrimp, cut into 1-inch pieces, 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and thinly sliced, 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced, 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, 3 cloves garlic, chopped, 1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, 1-1/2 cups low-fat Dannon plain yogurt, 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook 2 minutes less than package directions. Add shrimp, asparagus, bell pepper and peas and cook until pasta is tender and shrimp are cooked, 2-4 minutes more. Drain well.
- Mash garlic and salt in large bowl until a paste forms. Whisk in yogurt, parsley, lemon juice, oil and pepper. Add pasta mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
Ingredients: 1 Empire Kosher 8 Piece Cut Up Chicken, 1 tablespoon Empire Kosher Rendered Chicken Fat, Salt, pepper to taste, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 garlic clove, minced, 1 shallot, minced, ¼ cup pomegranate juice (all natural unsweetened cranberry juice is also good), ¼ cup low salt Kosher chicken broth, 1 granny smith apple, cored and diced into ½” pieces, ¼ cup honey
- Pat chicken pieces dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt, pepper and cayenne. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat rendered fat in a Dutch oven or large 12” skillet on medium high heat until smoking. Add 4 chicken pieces to the skillet and brown on both sides for 5 minutes.
- Remove from skillet to a clean plate. Repeat with remaining 4 pieces of chicken.
- Leaving the juices in the pan, add the garlic and shallots, stirring and browning until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the pomegranate juice and broth, stir, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and add apple pieces.
- Simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes, until the volume is reduced by half. Add honey to the skillet and stir into sauce.
- Place the browned chicken pieces in a casserole dish large enough to accommodate all 8 pieces Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 40 minutes, or until cooked through (160°F for white meat and 175°F for dark meat).
Linguine Ham Primavera (Thank UFCW members for Farmland Ham)
Ingredients: 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, 3/4 pound Farmland Ham, Julienne Ham Strips, 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil, 3 cups fresh assorted vegetables lightly steamed, 2 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons flour, 4 oz. uncooked linguine, 3 cups lowfat milk, 1 clove garlic crushed, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut ham into thin strips. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Add garlic and cook until tender. Blend in flour. Stir in milk, basil, oregano and pepper; heat until mixture begins to bubble. Add vegetables and ham. Cover and simmer over low heat until mixture is thoroughly heated.
- Add pasta and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired, before serving.
Turkey Mignons with Blue Cheese and Balsamic Glaze (Thank UFCW members for Butterball poultry products)
Ingredients: 1 cup balsamic vinegar, 4 Butterball® Turkey Mignons, 6 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- For balsamic glaze, heat balsamic vinegar in small saucepan on medium heat, stirring frequently, until it is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 12 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare mignons according to package directions for grilling.
- Top each with 1-1/2 tablespoons blue cheese. Return to grill 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top each with 1 teaspoon of balsamic glaze.
Make sure to try them with one of these union-made desserts, and share one of your dessert ideas in the comments section below.
Stay informed about more Union Plus benefits and discounts by signing up for free e-alerts here.