The Coalition of Labor Union Women (CLUW) held it's 18th Biennial Convention in November. Among the wide array of activities during the convention, the delegates passed numerous resolutions related to issues that affect and concern women in the workforce.
Here is a brief look at the resolutions that passed:
1. Women Are Vital to the 2016 Election: Recognizes the importance of women in the 2016 election, announces voter registration campaign that will focus on women, particularly unmarried women, announces get out the vote and voter education programs.
2. Raise the Minimum Wage for Women: Supports raising the minimum wage at all levels.
3. Regulate Banking: Supports the passage of the Return to Prudent Banking Act and other laws that would prevent future economic collapses.
4. Make STEM Education a Priority: Supports increased congressional funding for STEM education.
5. Demand Voting Rights for All Americans: Supports protecting the 1965 Voting Rights Act and legislation to protect the law and its historic role.
6. Spread the Word on Coronary Artery Disease: Supports participation in the Spread the Word campaign to raise awareness about coronary artery disease among union women.
7. Protect Voting Rights Through Vote by Mail: Advocates for vote by mail options, particularly for special elections and the removal of required excuses for vote by mail that exist in some states.
8. Preserve High-Quality Postal Service: Supports the National Association of Letter Carriers (NALC), the American Postal Workers Union (APWU) and the National Postal Mail Handlers Union (NPMHU) in their fight to preserve service and delivery standards in the USPS.
9. Pass the Equal Rights Amendment for Women's Equality: Supports the Equal Rights Amendment.
10. We Want Paycheck Fairness: Supports the Paycheck Fairness Act and making it easier to identify and rectify inequality in gender-based pay.
11. Pass the EACH Woman Act: Supports passage of the EACH Woman Act to prevent existing law from jeopardizing the health and well-being of low-income women and their families.
12. Stand with Planned Parenthood: Expresses support for Planned Parenthood and opposes efforts to defund the organization and its vital health care services.
13. Stop Human Trafficking: Calls for the passage and implementation of laws to abolish human trafficking and alleviate the conditions that encourage human trafficking.
14. Women Need Economic Justice: Opposes cuts to public services and calls for restoration and expansion of programs targeted in budget talks through innovative funding options.
15. Prevent Gun Violence: Supports national legislation that will prevent gun violence, save lives and preserve Second Amendment rights.
16. Clean Drinking Water Is a Human Right: Opposes the shutoff of clean water to poor communities as a human rights violation.
17. Defeat Right to Work Attacks: Opposes "right to work" legislation in any state that attempts to move forward with it.
18. Black Lives Matter: Advocates for an honest discussion about racism and white privilege and advocating for positive change in our treatment of related issues.
19. Reform the Criminal Justice System: Calls for reform of the criminal justice system to lessen the focus on punishment and increasing efforts to help people change, reintegrate and contribute to our society.
20. Let's Get Real Family Values: Advocates for a variety of policies that increase economic security for families, including, but not limited to, family leave, paid sick leave, quality affordable child care and the right of all women to have access to a full range of reproductive health care.
21. Workers Will Win with the WAGE Act: Supports the WAGE Act that will help working people provide for their families.
22. Endorse Passage of the Equality Act: Supports legislation that increases LGBT equality, specifically the Equality Act.
Read the full text of the resolutions.