When most people think about union members, they probably picture blue-collar workers in factories. Maybe teachers, police, firefighters and other government employees come to mind.
But workers in many more fields come together in unions to have a voice on the job to improve their lives and the lives of their families—from rocket scientists at NASA (members of the International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers [IFPTE]) to actors like Alec Baldwin (a member of SAG-AFTRA) and all across the spectrum of work that goes on in the United States.
Here are 10 jobs that you probably didn't know were held by union members:
1. Fox News camera operator (see video above): At local Fox News stations in cities like Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and Detroit, the camera operators and other technicians that keep the network running are members of the National Association of Broadcast Employees and Technicians (NABET-CWA).
3. Golf Channel audio mixer: From audio mixers to video controllers, many of the people who work behind the scenes to put the Golf Channel on the air are members of the Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE).
4. Vehicle service mechanic: Bob Pritchard of the Postal Workers (APWU) is about to retire after working for the U.S. Postal Service since 1980 as a mechanic fixing the massive fleet of postal vehicles.
5. Symphony conductor: Musical Artists (AGMA) member James Levine hasn't let spinal problems and multiple surgeries dethrone him as the leader of the Metropolitan Opera and, as the New York Times called him, one of the greatest living American conductors.
7. Baker: Daniel Wood helped lead bakers at the West Main Street Panera Bread franchise in Kalamazoo, Mich., in becoming the first of the company's locations to unionize, joining the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers (BCTGM).
8. Saxophone player: Many professional musicians, like Grammy-award-winning jazz saxophone player David Sanborn, are members of the American Federation of Musicians of the United States and Canada (AFM).
9. Social worker: AFT members like Grace Decker, who works at the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services, investigate alleged abuses of vulnerable adults such as senior citizens or adults who have mental or physical disabilities.
10. Super Bowl champion: Outspoken marriage equality advocate and star player for the 2013 Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens Brendon Ayanbadejo is a proud member of the NFL Players Association (NFLPA).