Solidarity Spurs Reinstatement of Brooklyn Cablevision Workers
All but one of the 22 workers at Brooklyn Cablevision, who the Communications Workers of America (CWA) says were illegally fired in January, are now back on the job, according to Erin Mahoney, organizing coordinator for CWA District 1.
Through e-mail, Facebook likes, petitions, rallies and other means, more than 100,000 people showed their support for the workers who have been attempting to negotiate a contract with Cablevision for more than a year. The workers vow they will continue to demand a fair contract.
In late February, a New York City Council committee held a hearing on Cablevision’s action where New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn said, “Private companies must obey the rules of the road as it relates to collective bargaining and labor agreements.”
Councilman Brad Lander said, "The company is engaging in textbook union-busting."
Early last week, 12 workers were reinstated, and nine others returned to work on Friday.
Make sure to like the workers’ new Facebook page launched last week.


