Adviser Left Romney Campaign During NLRB Ethics Probe
Former National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) member Peter Schaumber, involved in an ethics probe by the board’s inspector general, no longer is an adviser to presidential candidate Mitt Romney, according to a report in The Hill.
A Romney aide said Schaumber left the campaign in December 2011. The Huffington Post reports that the probe’s target, former NLRB chief counsel Terence Flynn, was notified that he was under investigation Dec. 5.
“It’s hardly a coincidence that Schaumber resigned from the Romney campaign the same time that his inside source at the board was notified he was being investigated,” says AFL-CIO spokesperson Alison Omens. “It begs the questions: Why is the Romney campaign telling us now that he resigned last December, if he did? Why did the Romney campaign not comment on this when the scandal first broke last month if Schaumber had already resigned?"
The NLRB inspector general recently issued a shocking report describing how Flynn funneled confidential information about NLRB activities and deliberations, including attorney-client privileged information, to two former NLRB members who have worked to undermine and discredit the NLRB. One of those former members was Schaumber—who co-chaired the labor policy advisory group for Romney’s campaign.
“The report makes clear that Schaumber used his inside connections through his former chief counsel Flynn to get internal, confidential information that he then utilized in ongoing public attacks on the actions of the NLRB,” AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka said when the inspector general's report came to light in March.
According to The Huffington Post, the NLRB’s inspector general has asked federal investigators to determine whether the information-funneling violated the Hatch Act, which bars civil servants from engaging in partisan politics.


