As we enter the home stretch of the holiday season, there are many ways for thoughtful San Francisco residents and visitors to have fun while making their communities better, instead of battling fellow shoppers for those desperate last-minute gifts. Whether it’s visiting the theater, the zoo or even Six Flags, residents and visitors to the City by the Bay have plenty of opportunities to support good, local jobs while having fun over the holidays.
The skilled and hardworking union members who make the Bay Area tick have certainly been working for us. From continuing the fight for a $15 living wage, to protesting layoffs and an unfair contract at City College of San Francisco, workers in the San Francisco Bay Area have participated in actions throughout 2015.
So take a break from it all and check out one of these fun, family-friendly events.
- When: Dec. 18-23, Dec. 26-30, Jan. 1- 3
- Where: San Francisco Zoo, Great Highway, San Francisco, CA 94132
- What: “See the lights at the brand new South American Tropical Rainforest and Aviary. Visit Santa and his reindeer, watch one of the nightly shows, take a ride on the Little Puffer Steam Train, and bring a coat because snow flurries are expected!”
- Unions: UNITE HERE, IBT
- When: Dec. 16-31
- Where: War Memorial Opera House, 301 Van Ness Ave. (in the Civic Center), San Francisco, CA 94102
- What: “The holiday classic, played in the City by the Bay since 1944.”
- Unions: Theatrical Stage Employees, UNITE HERE
- When: Through Jan. 3
- Where: 1001 Fairgrounds Drive SW, Vallejo, CA 94589
- What: “Synchronized light shows, sledding, life-sized snow globes, Santa’s workshop, rides and more!”
- Union: Machinists
- When: Dec. 17-27
- Where: 701 Mission St., San Francisco, CA 94103
- What: “Baby, it’s cold outside, but it’s sizzlin’ hot around the Bay Area when Smuin Ballet kicks off the holidays with ‘The Christmas Ballet.’ From classical to cool, Smuin offers two acts filled with a stunning and original array of ballet, tap and jazz. A joyous celebration of dance and a true holiday classic, this year’s program features Smuin favorites and new pieces.”
- Union: Theatrical Stage Employees
- When: Through Dec. 24
- Where: Davies Symphony Hall, 201 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco, CA 94102
- What: “Multiple holiday performances include A Charlie Brown Christmas.”
- Unions: UNITE HERE, American Federation of Musicians of the United States and Canada.
For more union gift ideas this holiday season, click here.
Tim Paulson is the executive director of the San Francisco Labor Council, AFL-CIO, and Cherri Senders is the publisher of Labor 411.